Something has gone seriously wrong with Mars Probe 7. With no contact from the astronauts since the rocket started its return journey from Mars, Space Control is now extremely worried about the fate of the crew. A rescue mission recovers something – but whatever it is, it certainly isn’t human.
To find out what has happened to the astronauts, the Doctor must head into space without the TARDIS.
The Doctor joins UNIT's investigation into the mystery surrounding Mars Probe 7. Space Control, headed by Professor Ralph Cornish, has had no contact with the astronauts on board since it started back from Mars seven months ago, and now the Recovery 7 rescue mission has run into similar difficulties. This second ship does get back to Earth, but the astronauts are kidnapped after landing and Liz Shaw notices that the Geiger counter is at maximum. It transpires that the ship's occupants were not the human astronauts after all but a trio of radiation-dependent alien ambassadors who had swapped places with them...
Cast and crew
Producer Barry Letts
Director Michael Ferguson
Original broadcast date: 21 March 1970
7x25 min episodes
Special Features include: (44 mins)
- Audio Commentary with actors Caroline John, Nicholas Courtney, Peter Halliday, Geoffrey Beevers, director Michael Ferguson, script editor Terrance Dicks, stunt co-ordinator Derek Ware and stunt performers Roy Scammell and Derek Martin
- Mars Probe 7 Making Of (26 mins)
- Trailer (1 min)
- Tomorrow’s Times – The Third Doctor (13 mins)
- Photo Gallery (4 mins)
- PDF materials: Radio Times Listings
- Production Note Subtitles
- Digitally remastered picture and sound quality
|Number of Discs||2|
|Character||Third Doctor, Jon Pertwee|
|Release Date||Oct 9, 2012|